Liz Klein (Special Education)

A little more about your class:

I introduced my teaching innovation into a course on teaching reading to aspiring Special Education teachers. The course is SPED 781.5 – Teaching Reading to Students with Learning Disabilities, Behavior Disorders section. It was a hybrid course.

The issue you’re addressing: 

I addressed the nature of how work is assigned, carried out by teacher candidates and how it is assessed. What I basically did was turn the entire course into project-based learning experiences. It was already headed there a while back, I just went all the way. I also used ungrading and self-assessment for several assignments.

Tell us a bit more about your teaching innovation:

My course was inspired by the podcasts that spoke of students setting their own goals. I just guided them and used other means to inspire them such as mini-lessons, modeling, student exemplars, peer and group support, flexible deadlines, self-assessment, choice. I used integration of the arts, which I always do but I upped the ante and took some more risks using, creating of social norms within group work and adding more fun into lessons (my last class we analyzed poetry through hip-hop and rock of the 70’s/80’s). I began each lesson with social-emotional learning for the teacher and the student.

Piano keys next to the instructions for a class assignment, where students are asked to read the lyrics of a song and consider their meaning in the context of US politics.

Your initial takeaways:

I loved being intentional about building in joy and experimentation, reaching content goals through varied actions that are not dependent on traditional instruction or assessment methods. Most students loved it and responded well, but there were some that were not in the groove and just wanted to meet expectations and get a grade. I used peer inspiration for those students. I had to do some tap-dancing and rollerskating at the same time to win over those traditionalists and I’m not sure I did so.

Suggested “podcast pairing”:

Dr. Breanna Boppre on “Alternative Assessment: Creative Ways to Use Technology to Engage Students and Assess Learning,” (Lecture Breakers podcast)

Transcript “Alternative Assessment: Creative Ways to Use Technology to Engage Students and Assess Learning

Emily Dosmar on “Ungrading: The Misconceptions, the Research, and the Strategies” (Faculty Focus Live podcast)

Transcript “Ungrading: The Misconceptions, the Research, and the Strategies”